Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bull Shiitake

Of course I added on the Shiitake Mushrooms when I had the chance last week, and they arrived in my cooler on Friday. The brie and shiitake mushroom pizza recipe that came in the newsletter sounded promising, so that is what I decided to make- with the Sara spin, of course! (Well maybe Mama Shute had some input...)


I chose the baby brie because it was on sale. It was just that simple. $2.99 at Kroger? Well then! Let's go ahead and get you comfortable in my basket! Don't mind if I do! This was the basis of the whole meal. I pre-heated the oven to 350 and let that bad boy pre-heat. In the mean time I grabbed two tortillas and spread the brie on the tortillas. I left the rind on- because I like the flavor, but take that off at your own discretion.


Don't worry about making it pretty, the cheese will spread once the cooking process has begun. Go ahead and get your mushrooms ready. I take off the stems and store for a rainy day, then slice the caps. I also added some sliced roma tomatoes onto my pizza pie.


Mmmm. Next I sauteed some chopped white onions with garlic and thyme in about 1 tbsp of butter. Once these are soft I poured this over top the cheese and mushrooms. 


Put them into the oven and cook for ~15-20 minutes.



And they're done! So simple. So good! And if you're wondering what do do with the extra brie cheese- may I recommend reading up on Lady Bird's poor and hungry farmer sandwich's

I finished off the meal with my absolute. favorite. summer. dessert. ever. The end. Kiss the baby because you're d-o-n-e! What is it you say? So simple. So fresh. It's.....

GRILLED PEACHES WITH A HONEY LIME MINT DRIZZLE. 

Perhaps a little anticlimactic for you too? I tired. Anyways... What fruit screams "summer" harder than a tween at a Justin Bieber concert? Peaches. And let me tell you folks, a good peach could be the answer to world peace, just saying. (We could call it world peach... heh heh heh. I slay myself).

If you are anti-fuzz drop the peach in boiling water for 30 seconds and the skin easily peels off. I happen to like the fuzz so I just slice these in half and throw on the grill. You just want to grill them until they are warmed through and have nice grill marks- about 5 minutes. 

Put them on your plate and then drizzle your honey over top. Tip: if you store your honey in the refrigerator- microwave it for 30 seconds, and it makes it easier to handle.  Zest some lime and garnish with fresh mint. To. Die. For.


And they are so sweet already that the honey with the lime and mint makes it feel like a 15 dollar dessert at a fancy restaurant. So good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment