Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Holy Antebellum's Batman!

I love Oakwood. It is that simple. Why? Just look at this street view. That's right, you can't see very far because the lush tree lined streets prevent it. I love how you have to look where you're going when you're walking because the roots from the trees have pushed up the sidewalk over the years. It has character. But mostly this neighborhood reminds me of Roanoke, Va, where my dad grew up. The street where he grew up is quite reminiscent of the streets in Oakwood, minus the mountains (minor missing detail from Raleigh).  




So! Speaking of archetecture- Coop and I went on a walk and thought I'd share some of my favorite homes located on Blount Street. 

Here we go!



First stop: The executive mansion- currently housing ole' Bev and fam. Fun fact: when walking your dog, do not linger too long or you will be followed until you are deemed to not be a threat by obvious government vehicles. And yes this indeed happened to Todd and Cooper. Although Todd was unsure why he was followed home. Everyone knows that on the protective scale Golden Retrievers are rated low and the only weapon Todd had was a filled poo bag. Your tax dollars at work? You be the judge.


Governor Zebulon Vance (Hey oh! Those names sound familiar!) decided enough was enough! The governors needed a swanky place to call home, and thus Samuel Sloan designed this quaint shack and convict labor succeeded in bringing his vision to life.  You can tour the first floor and garden tours are available. If you are visiting the museums, may I suggest parking near Bev's abode. Why? Because when the gardens are full grown, they have a tendency to hang over the gate, and the kids and I have been known a time or two to sample the blackberries that always seemed to have an invisible sign that said "pick me" on them. 

Moving on down the street.....


This is the Heck-Andrew's house. My readings told me this is built from French influences after the civil war and is considered to be in the style of Second Empire. Now do what I did which was go to Second Empire restaurant and see if you can spot the similarities in style! And know you know where the restaurant got it's name from. (Bonus!) 


I think it looks like a gingerbread house, but then again, I have not studied architecture.

Now onto one of my favorite homes, and huh! How about that! It is for sale you say? Hmmm... if only I had the time and the financial backing, A girl can dream.  Behold! THIS is the Lewis-Smith house. 

This was built before the civil war and is the oldest home on Blount Street.  It needs a little fixing up. Understatement of the year.


Just so you can get a feel for how large this is. Check out the side view. Obsessed. 

Looking across the street we have the Merrimon-Wynne house. Now, don't judge, but this 200+ ton home was not a Blount Street native but is a transplant. That's ok I didn't judge the new guy on the block, either.  Blount street is an equal opportunity house acceptor, although those less than 2000 square feet need not to apply.  




With twin wrap around porches and 9 fireplaces, you wouldn't be judging either. 9 fireplaces? Someone is going to be hoping for some snow. This one is also for sale, if your looking to be in debt for the rest of your life. 

This house is the Jordan House and is the last of the gargantuan homes on Blount Street and neighbors Peace College. 

This is a Queen Anne style home, that like many of the downtown homes had been previously converted into apartments. I will say a redeeming quality is the large corner lot that it is situated on. This was the point where Coop and I turned around and took photos of a few home's we missed along our route.

The Capehart House is also a Queen Anne style home and is another mammoth residence. I am thinking I like the way people thought about their home's prior to 1900. 


Aldophus Bauer who assisted with the planning of the executive mansion designed this home, and like I said before, not bad, not bad at all.  This house is also a transplant home with it's original location being on Wilmington street. I think I just like the tower on this one. All homes should have towers. I think I should drop ole' Bev a note for some type of official decree on this matter. 

This is another house that gets stunna' points for it's height. This is the Hawkins-Hartness House. And I have to say if it didn't have the height factor I would easily confuse with the Capehart House.


I must say the porch on this one is also very impressive. But sadly no one lives in this home. It serves as offices, which I think is ashame because again I wouldn't mind adding my name to this deed.

This concludes Cooper and I's mansion mission. It should be noted that many of these homes are part of the newly visualized Blount Street Common's project. I'll believe it when I see it because the townhomes that were built are looking mighty pitiful in their abandoned area. I drive down Blount Street everyday on my way home from my place of employment, so I am keeping a watchful eye on the progress. 

No worries, tomorrow I'll review a downtown local eatery where I was able to get the inside scoop on some new developments! For those who are wondering, I had to return Cooper back to his owners. Sir Rupert will return to his rightful position as supreme male animal in our home.... at least for now.

The following sites were researched in the making of this post and can be referenced for further reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment