Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sara, what should I do with my acorn squash?

Just like your sixth grade bra....stuff it! 

This question was asked by TPrizzy today at work, and she is in luck because two of these bad boys arrived in my produce box on Wednesday. Acorn squash are really tasty on their own, with a natural sweetness that I feel many people ruin by adding extra sweetener via brown sugar or molasses. BUT when you scoop out the seeds it creates a little bowl which just seems like it is itching for something other than your fork to be placed in it.  I usually reserve most of my gourd eating for the winter, but apparently they are in season, or else I would have not received two of them. Being it is the summer time and I am still up to my eyeballs in jalapeño peppers, I thought I would do a zesty spicy mixture with my old friend quinoa.

Pre heat your oven to 350 and grab your squash


Cut it longitudinally and scoop out the seeds

Beep beep beep. That's your oven saying it's ready. Drizzle some EVOO over each halve and place bowl side down on a baking sheet and cook about 30 minutes, or until easily stabbed with a fork.

While your vessels are roasting in the oven, go ahead and start your qunioa. I like to cook mine in a broth, so you can choose chicken or even beef, obviously I choose vegetable. You can even cook the quinoa in water but remove half the water and sub a juice that complements your dish. For example: cooking Caribbean? Make 1/2 c quinoa with 1/2 c water, 1/2 cup pineapple juice. Cook and toss with cilantro and diced red pepper for an easy tasty side dish.

I did 1 c broth to 1/2 c quinoa. Boil your broth and rinsed quinoa and then simmer until the liquid is absorbed.


While the quinoa is bubbling away go ahead and begin your add-ins.
1/2 onion (I chose a red one, you can also use shallots)
1/2 c roasted corn (or regular fresh corn for all of you who have a ton frozen from earlier in the season)
1/2 c garbanzo or black beans 
1 diced pepper (a green one came in my box this week)
2 jalapeños (hahaha you're numbers are dwindling!)
bunch of chopped cilantro
2-3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper


Add your garlic and chopped onion to a little EVOO and sauté over medium heat until it is nice and carmelized


Go ahead and dice your peppers. For the jalapeños I cut off the tops and take out all the seeds and membrane. If you want it spicier leave more of the membrane in or add some of the seeds in. The hubs is a spice freak, so I try to keep it spicy, but not burn off your taste buds spicy.


After the peppers soften, throw in the corn and beans. Go ahead and season with your salt and pepper and at the end add in the cilantro. For variations feel free to add in some chili powder, lime juice or cumin for some flair.


Looking pretty good huh? Well you're just in time because it's been about 30 minutes and the acorn squash are ready to make their entrance.


Yum yum! Let's stuff these suckers!


Now you're going to have stuff left over. I'm taking mine for lunch tomorrow, and it is just as yummy on it's own.  For the meat portion we had ahi tuna steaks flash marinated in fresh lime juice, ginger and red pepper flakes. So simple. So easy. So delicious.


Can't you tell which one is mine and which one is Todd's? Oh yea, I decide to add some cheese as a last minute addition to the goddess vessels. And you want to know something else? Todd announced at the end of the meal... "Sara? You know what was my favorite? The actual squash. Even without all the stuff on top." And if that is not enough to at least purchase one of these then I don't know what else is.

Disclaimer: Before Todd met me his relationship with fresh vegetables was limited at best. In fact it is safe to say the most interaction he had was solely with canned vegetables. Oh how things have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment