Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Seafood sausage.... say what!?!

Before we get into today's blog post I would like everyone to give a warm welcome to Cooper. Sadly this hunk of fluff is not mine, but I do call him my pseudodog. He belongs to the kids for whom I used to nanny...but I not only get to still see the kids on the reg, but from time to time get to take care of Cooper as well. Just look at him! And also notice the vacuum on standby for his visit because when he comes so does a considerable amount of shedding.
Ok onwards to today's post. Side story:  Sir Rupert, our cat, had to have some surgery... with the surgery came twice daily syringe squirts of pain meds directly into his mouth (fun fun) and an antibiotic to be given in wet food. Sir Rupert usually only gets dry food, but when you need some dank pet food where do you go?


For those of you who shouted pet smart just leave this website now. Fun Fact: Trader Joe's started in Los Angeles. I for one am not surprised in the least bit.

One cannot possibly go in and just purchase pet food, which is how the hubs and I found ourselves in the frozen foods section looking at this:

Once again, don't adjust your cheater reader's, this says: "seafood sausage." When Todd and I saw this my reaction was: "Ughhh", and his was; "Ewww! We gotta try this." So in the basket it went and in the freezer it stayed until last night when I decided this was what we were having for dinner.

I slapped those babies on the grill and waited to see what this "shrimp, scallop, and mild white fish" concoction tasted like. It is wrapped in pork casing, so those with strong aversions to pork products you can easily remove the casing and gently grill without falling apart.

As side items I decided to make spicy broccoli in order to finish up the pepper's I received in my produce box. I wish I could say I chopped a head of fresh broccoli, but to be honest I came home from work, started reading my book, passed out and napped like it was sophomore year of college.  Since it was almost 8 when I started cooking I went the fresh-frozen route. (Don't judge me too hard, I am human remember? I am the one who can't get themselves to the farmer's market). I cooked the broccoli and drained the water.

I then cut up one of these bad boys and tossed it in:

I then chopped 2 cloves of garlic and put that in the pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tsp of red pepper flakes.
Mmmm- roasty. Other side item was a simple spinach salad with feta, cucumber, grape tomatoes and shredded carrots. And this my friends is what the finished dish looked like:

Ok let's get real. What did I think of the seafood sausage?

  (Disclaimer: I ate really weird things as a kid: in my lunch box there may or may not have been several instances of celery with cream cheese and olives or perhaps multiple sardine with a dab of mustard on a saltine moments) 

It was ok.... tasted mainly of shrimp. Now I am not a calorie maniac by any means (there's a good chance I let out a chuckle or too when I wrote that), but each sausage only had 110 calories, 370 mg of sodium and 3.5 grams of fat. So not bad health-wise when you compare it to a comparable size Johnsonville sausage which has 270 calories, 810 mg sodium and 22 grams of fat. I'm pretty sure I could feel my feet swell and cellulite virtually manifesting itself onto my thighs and just by typing that, but that is neither here nor there, the important thing is I would probably buy this again, but would not serve straight up. I would switch it up and serve over some type of noodle and perhaps a little of "Sara's Bangin' Noodle Sauce." 

Just to keep your interested piqued, Miss ladybird herself has agreed to guest blog with some of her food travels down in Nola (that's New Orleans Louisiana for those not down with the lingo). So get pumped!


1 comment:

  1. Cooper is so handsomee!!! I wish we had Trader Joe's down here -- although idk if Ima try the seafood sausage (and now I don't have to haha) -- but the rest looks so fresh and delicious!

    This weekend I'll be working on my post, lovie!!

    ReplyDelete