Thursday, October 7, 2010

AFTER A TWO WEEK WAIT MY PRODUCE BOX CAME!

I turned a quarter of a century this year. And contrary to popular belief, most people DO consider this a huge birthday. I did as well. I was lucky enough that one of my best friends HAPPENED to have a work recruitment just right down the road and I got to see her on my birthday *BONUS!* Besides that extra special treat, she got me the gift that I swear will keep on giving.



YES. Simply in Season. This book has recipes that are separated into the four seasons with recipes featuring the produce available FOR each season! And then BAM! WTF! Produce Box takes a two week vacay. I have been itching so badly to use this I cannot even stand it. Luckily I had some produce left over, so tonight I will let you all know what I did just to try out one of these recipes.

This is from the fall section and was called "Maple Parsnips." WizIdbijbfaiubfb! I do not have parsnips! BUT! I have butternut squash. So I subbed it out. Today I give you: Maple Butternut squash. Ta Da!


Pre-heat oven to 400.


Cut your butternut squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. You can keep them and roast them if you like. Mine? To the trash they went. 


Cut each half in half and then cut those that halves in half. Translation: cut into four strips. 


I was feeling lazy, so I lined my pan with foil for easy clean up. Each strip then gets lined up and placed in the oven for 20 minutes.



Take 1 Tbsp Butter, 2 Tbsp walnuts and heat over medium heat. Once melted add 1 Tbsp maple syrup. I will be totally truthful. I used smart balance "butter" and sugar free "syrup." It turned out fine, but there is not a whole lot of "realness" to either of those products, but it turned out very tasty nonetheless.


Bring to a boil and then immediately take off the heat. Ding! What's that? Oh! How convenient the butternut squash a ready to come out of the oven!


Roasty toasty. You can stop here, and eat them plain if you would like (I def. snacked on like 3 of these just standing there). But I added them to a bowl and then drizzled the nutty maple mixture over these and voila! Fin!


SO. FREAKING. GOOD! It made my toes curl. I could not believe this was as good as it was! Tomorrow I am sharing the simple summer ratatouille I made tonight! Everyone was a member of the clean plate club. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment