Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sara's Final Four

OK Gang. I have been super busy here recently and have been totes slack about posting! Also, some of you have commented on the atrocious spelling and grammatical errors. Y'all! Sorry. Find em? Let me know. I'll fix em. There! Happy? Good. Let's move on.

Listed below are Sara's Final Four of downtown Raleigh affordable restaurants. Try saying that 5 times fast, goodness! I define affordable as I can eat for less than 12 dollars and be full... Todd is a different story and when asked for his picks totally neglected selecting affordable choices and he went with flavor. The restaurants listed are all really nice, meaning they are not going to give you your bill and then tell you they are cash only. (I'm looking at you Dixie III in Asheboro!) Alright! Away we go!

The Big Easy
Located on Fayetteville street you can find authentic Cajun dishes that will have you saying "laissez les bons temp rouler" before you know it! (PS for all of us non Cajun's this is the motto of many Louisianans meaning "let the good times roll") They also offer monthly food specials and drink specials nightly. In fact- I am going out for a girls night tomorrow to partake in 50% off wine and 3.00 Blue Moon's!

Sara recommends: Grilled Shrimp Baton Rouge: 7.75
Spicy sauteed shrimp dressed with house remoulade

Todd recommends: A Taste of Louisiana 13.75
A generous portion of jambalaya, chicken gumbo, fried shrimp or gator and red beans and rice

And let me tell you: their red beans and rice are to die for! So good!

The Pit
Located on West Davie Street near the Union The Pit is a wildy popular authentic barbecue restaurant. Featured on the food network, I saw pitmaster Ed Mitchell down a shot of moonshine after picking a whole hog. If that does not scream I'm in the south, then I am not sure what does. (I take that back. monogrammed everything, Lily dresses, Cowboy boots, bowties and Vineyard Vines also scream I'm in the south, but I digress....)

Sara recommends: Fried Green Tomatoes 6.56
served with buttermilk lime dressing and fresh basil
OR
I like to get a plate of their sides including: Collard Greens, Creamed Corn (which is chunky like I like it) and the sweet potato fries 2.99 each

Todd recommends: Pulled Pork 11.99
smoked and pulled from the bone, lightly seasoned with pepper vinegar

Lilly's Pizza
Located in the Five Points district on Glenwood, Lilly's is a downtown staple. I am not sure if I know many people who would tell you that Lilly's is not THE best place to get pizza. Of course they have other items besides pizza, but I have not tried them. I love the eccentric group of employees and the fast turn around to get your pizza.I also love that everything is fresh and you can taste the difference. They also have a gluten-free option and pizza by the slice.


Sara recommends: The Aristocrat Small: 9.60
Pesto, organic minced garlic, sundried tomatoes, mozzarella, Parmesan & fontina cheeses


Todd has never had the pleasure of a Lily's pizza, but I will be changing that shortly. So I will pick something that I know he would like: Cow Tipper Small 9.60
Homemade organic tomato sauce, mozzarella, all-natural ground beef, black olives, Parmesan & feta


Tobacco Road
Located on Glenwood, Tobacco Road described itself as a sports cafe, but for a sports cafe their food is legit. Almost mind boggling so. And they have named many of their dishes after the colleges that are most associated with this area (BONUS).


Sara recommends: Black Eyed Pea Burger 8.95
Seared black-eyed pea cake, topped with lettuce, tomato and onion. Served with roasted tomato tartar, which is my main reason for continually choosing this.


Todd recommends: Shrimp and Grits 13.95
In fact Todd like this so much, he asked if we could make a "sara" version of shrimp and grits this week. Perhaps Todd... Perhaps
Tobacco Road makes theirs with sauteed shrimp, country style thick grits topped with a chipotle ham gravy. Now do you see why he would like this?


OK! No worries friends. I have been busy. I have a review of David's dumpling bar, a shrimp quinoa recipe, rataouille, butternut squash and chili recipes. I will also be doing another Final Four of downtown bars, expensive restaurants and dive's for your reading pleasure. Can't wait! Stay tuned!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment