Monday, October 25, 2010

HAPPY FALL Y'ALL!



Happy fall everyone! Above is my pumpkin that I carved last year for my place of employment! Sadly... I lost the competition. And ironically another pig pumpkin won. I am not biased, or holding some type of grudge after almost 365 days or anything, but the pumpkin that won was a plain pumpkin, painted pink with a painted pink dixie cup, hot glued for the nose with googly eyes.... yup. The winner people. But I digress.   

With it people fall the produce box has continuously accosted my doorstep with apple upon bag of apple. So now I have 4 bags of apples. I sent a bag with the hubs to work... but le sigh.... what to do with the rest? 

We ate at the Flying Biscuit last week when I was feeling under the weather and the best part about eating there is that they give you fresh baked biscuits with cranberry apple butter. They are to die for! So good. Luckily when you google "what to do with massive amounts of apples" crock pot apple butter comes up. What better way to satisfy the craving with some homemade goodies? Let's get started. 


Pour 3 cups of sugar into your crock pot. Add to it 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice. There was a specific spice blend that many of these sites used, but I just bought my pumpkin pie spice blend and was desperate to use it!


Peel, cut and dice ~8 medium apples and add to the crock pot.


 Stir to coat.  Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce down to low and cook for 14 hours. You can cook it for less time if you don't like a rich developed flavor. I like mine a deep rich color. 

(Well... to be honest I put it on at 6 pm and knew I would be waking up at 8 so 14 hours seemed like the best fit for my sleeping schedule.) 


Holy cow. How yum does that look? I ate some on toast this morning and it was de-freaking-licious! 


SO GOOD!

That's all today. These next two weeks I'll show you my crispy kale fries, roasted chestnuts, stuffed eggplant, potato and kale soup, pumpkin muffins, spicy broccoli, easy crockpot chili, the Hub's buffalo burger AND roasted okra. AND we'll have a restaurant review of Sunflower's Sandwich Shop. Get hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment