Friday, October 29, 2010

If you got the poison, I've got the Remedy

Does anyone remember this song from Jason Mraz?  Well I DO. And I remember him before he sold out and went all beachy with Colby Caillat, whose popularity still boggles my mind. BUT then again I am I like music of a different era. The hubs and I had our first dance to Queen's Best Friend and when we were announced for the first time as husband and wife, we ran out to Sweet Child of Mine, a song which the hubs was proud to have picked out. I never claimed to be normal, I only claim to be me.

Whoa A.D.D. This kind of non-topic conversation is only appropriate with those that can follow along. I'm looking at you T-Pain and Lady Bird. Why was I referencing that song? Oh yes. Because last week, I was sick as a dog y'all! Like so sick I had to leave work early, and I happen to be one of those weird people who not only LOVES my job, but also really likes the people that I get to see on a daily basis. But I digress. After I sent myself home and let me tell you: I was craving some ginger ale, dayquil and some soup. We had some pre-made soups, but I was a hankering for something hardy! Something that would coat the tummy and give Nurse Sir Rupert some reassurance that I was going to be on the mend shortly. This is him giving me the stink eye. He does not like seeing me sick and wanted me better. In order to make he rest he resorted to pinning me down and giving me dirty looks. Touche' Sir Rupert, you win this round my fuzzy friend.



I had these Irish potatoes from my produce box, and some left over kale so I decided to do a vegetarian spin on the Olive Garden's Zuppa Italiano, which is made with sausage.

Start out by sauteeing some onions and garlic in EVOO in a small saucepan until they are translucent. 



Chop and quarter your potatoes. In a cauldron add your softened onion mixture with 2 cups of vegetable broth with 1 cup of skim milk. Add in 2 tsp of died rosemary and a bay leaf.




Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.



Fish out the potatoes and place into your food processor. If you like some chunks, as I do only take out 3/4 of your cooked potatoes. Puree until smooth. If needed, add some broth to create a nice silky texture. Add this back into your cauldron.


Wow look at the color difference! Go ahead and steam 2 cups of Kale until soft. I did this in the microwave.


I don't have a finished photo, but it was quite tasty. I seasoned with a little salt and a lot of pepper. I also melted cheese it in and ate it with some crushed saltines. Perfecto! And Sir Rupert gave it two enthusiastic paws up!

If you're a meat eater and want to do this with the sausage, just cook it with the onions at the first step. I would imagine it to be tasty that way as well. I ate this for three lunches in a row and it was just as good as the first time every time. Hey- I think that is a line from the Lonestar song: I'm already there. SLIGHTY different context this time! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment