Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire... In OCTOBER?????

It is no secret, give me a theme and I am a happy camper. This is why I love the holidays so much. One unified theme that so many people can get on board with? HELLO! This chica is in heaven. I am our work's resident party planner. You name it. Baby shower? On it. Birthday? Bam! I've got your lunch planned. And even this Friday we are having a pumpkin carving contest complete with decorations, gift cards for the winners and themed food. Yup. I know you're ALL jealous. I love planning theme parties as much as I do shoes and that is saying a lot.

In my produce box I received a box of chestnuts. And I have never had a chestnut.  BUT I can sing the song about them ad nauseum. I also know mama Shute LOVES them. Why do I know this? I am 99% sure she mentioned it one time. And last Christmas I searched high and low to buy some and could not find them. I wanted to bring them home and literally roast them on a open fire AT Christmas time. Now. Tell me how perfect would that be?

Well it would have been perfect, except I could never find them. But nevertheless it stuck in my head. So when had the opportunity to make them, you better believe I jumped on it! Just like Sir Mix A Lot....

This is my little box of chestnuts. I wiped them off with a damp cloth. Pre-heat the oven to 425.




Next I took my X-acto knife and with the flat side of the nut down cut and "X" on the round bump. This is every important, because they will explode, and it makes them easier to peel.




Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until one explodes as is what happened to me.




Pull out of the oven and allow them to cook slightly. They should be bursting like presents.




Peels back the hard outer shell. While warm they are surprisingly pliable.




Once all done they are a gorgeous deep buttery yellow color. 




The hubs and I tried them and they had an interesting flavor. I really can't describe it. I don't know exactly what I will do with them now that they are roasted. A quick recipe search says they are tasty in stuffings. I plan on just randomly snacking on them until they are gone. Hopefully I will get some more so I can bring them home to mama Shute! 



No comments:

Post a Comment