Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kale Blomkvist

I just finished reading all three books from the Millennium Series by Steig Larsson(The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) and Kalle Blomkvist is continually referenced. What a fitting way to start off my kale post!

The lovely three children for whom I used to care for introed me to Kale fries and I fell in love. Their grandfather has an awesome garden and was continually providing them with freshly grown goodies. This is so simple and yet so good!

I cheated and bought my kale, pre-washed and pre-cut. I have no received any in my produce box and was craving it like whoa. I know kale is coming into season so I know it will be in my box eventually. I also HATE that people in this state will cook kale TO death, much like other greens. (Collards, I'm looking atchu!) Seriously, no need for the fat back, ham hocks or other nasty throw away bits from random animals. A little EVOO, garlic and salt with a quick warm through IS ALL YOU NEED. That is right. ALL YOU NEED.

If you gret fresh Kale, fill your sink up with water and soak. They are grown in sandy soil and if you don't do this you can kiss the enamel on your teeth goodbye! This way the sand will sink to the bottom of the sink and you'll have nice clean leaves a floatin' on top. Take out and pat dry. Remove the woody vein from the middle and chop.


Pre-heat your oven to 350. Get a zip lock bag and toss with EVOO. Spread evenly on your cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. 


Cook for 15 minutes until crispy. 


Store in an air tight container. These are surprisingly crispy and light in flavor. That is why I call them kale fries. SO good. And SO easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment