Thursday, October 28, 2010

What do you use to mend a Jack-o-Lantern?

A pumpkin patch!

ZING!

Good one. Y'all know I love a cheesy joke.

Fall. Yes. I am going totally over kill with it but I cannot help it. Fall in North Carolina is magical. The leaves changing, the low humidity, the 65 degree weather? Love it! AND I get to wear what many would consider to be my uniform: shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Perfect mix. I don't mind my legs cold and prefer my upper body a bit warmer. Fall is the only time I can do this!

What? What is what you say? SSC! Can't you do that in the spring? NO! AND I am bitter. (I know surprise, surprise!) Spring has been robbed from our quatro seasons here for like the fifth year! It is 30 degrees for all of February with maybe a rouge snow snow, you get one week in March of it being 65 and them BOOM 95! 100% humidity! Frizz everywhere! And UGH! You're sweating and can't breath from all the pollen. This is not a transitional season. It goes from frigid to steamy. It is hell. Pure hazy yellow hell. I am thankful every year that I do not suffer from seasonal allergies. The hubs does though. Poor thing. Everyone in unison now: awwwww!

One of the quatro amigo's introduced me to this concept. While on her blog she is confused, there is no confusing this recipe, it is pure deliciousness. Truth be told Mama Shute introed this concept to me via brownies, and it works, but for the fall season I highly recommend this.

Ready? Buy a box of cake mix. 1 can of pumpkin. Mix with 1/4 cup of water. Put into a 350 degree oven.


Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until you can stick a knife in it and it comes out clean.


Mmmm. Yummy and so moist!

OK! Variation time. I have made these so many times that I am well versed in how to switch it up. All of these follow the same principle, 1 box, 1 can pureed pumpkin and 1/4 c water. Buy a box of gingerbread mix for a spicy seasonal muffin. This also works for spice cake mix too. Also try a yellow cake, with butterscotch chips and a splash of vanilla and cinnamon. And like Mama Shute Suggested, you can also do this with brownie mix, devils food cake and other boxed treats. When the flavors are that strong, you don't even taste the pumpkin. What a nice, healthy and delicious season treat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment