Monday, October 11, 2010

David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar

The curse of Oberlin and Hillsborough street strikes again! First we saw Darryl's go out of business and now Red Hot and Blue had QUITE the short run at this location. I hope that DDandNB does not suffer the same fate. I can now say I have eaten at this location when it was each different personality and I must confess this is my favorite! Nestled in between two of the three newest roundabouts and adjacent to Loco Pops and Player's Retreat is where you can find DDandNB.  They have kept the exposed brick and centralized bar which gives the restaurant a funky hip flair. The walls are adorned with photo collages of David Mao doing what he does best: cooking. Many of you have probably eaten at the Duck and Dumpling on Blount Street and are familiar with the brilliance that is Chef Mao. DDandNB has some of these iconic dished listed (under chef specialties), but the menu is surprisingly affordable. The fare is described as "unique" Pan-Asian with touched of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Malaysian cuisines with a special emphasis on noodle and dumpling dishes.

SIDE NOTE: We used to say someone was "unique" when we had nothing better to say about them, but did not want to say something condescending. Does anyone else associate "unique" with a negative connotation BESIDES me?



We began with ordering beverages: I had the Los Cardos Malbec from Mendoza Argentina ($6.00) and Todd had the Carolina Brewing Company Seasonal ($4.00).

Our waiter was very attentive, knowledgeable and spunky. I also liked how he referred to Chef Mao as "Dave" as if they were long time friends or at least go have beers after work at Player's Retreat or something. We started off with a selection from the "Small Plates, Appetizers, Salads and Soups" section of the menu. We selected the vegetarian Marco Polo Dumplings which are stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and assorted cheeses. They were deep fried and came with a balsamic vinegar dipping sauce and pickled dikon radish and carrot.



They were good, but a little bit too heavy on the acid portion. I decided to forgo the sauce and they were just as good without it and were quite the bargain for 5.50.

All during dinner chef Mao was walking around the restaurant talking to folks and getting feedback. Although he never got around to our table, I was very impressed by this. His wife also got into the act and was seating people and generally just hanging out. I felt added to the casual atmosphere which I think is needed for the clientèle that will probably frequent DD&NB. I also say this because I could not help by notice there was a late night menu!

Todd and I  both ordered from the "Traditional Chinese Quick-Stir Dishes" section all costing $10.00. Going on a recommendation of the waiter I ordered the Malaysian Curry Chicken, and as the menu notes, you can substitute any of the meats for chicken, shrimp, beef and pork. I did just this and subbed out the chicken for shrimp!



 Mine was not too sweet, and had just enough heat on the back end to make my nose run only slightly. I could taste the coconut milk and that was about the only thing I could pick up on. The rest just tasted fabulous! I highly recommend this. The shrimp were PERFECTLY cooked, which as many know you can over cook a shrimp in no time flat. Todd ordered the Ginger and Garlic Chicken, but subbed out the chicken for shrimp too!




Todd said that he tasted more ginger than garlic and the dish was sweet with a subtle spice. (This is a direct quote PS).  He said he would definitely order this again! Both dishes came with white rice. As you can see, we enjoyed every bite!



I truly hope this does not succumb to the curse and is around for a very long time. The place was packed when we were there, so I have high hopes. I think many people will go just so they can get Chef Mao's signature dishes for only 16.50! Next time I want to try the noodles, and perhaps venture out to some other dumplings! In the interim- you all need to go and try this place! (No peer pressure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment