Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The moon is made of baklava

The title of this post is taken from one of the blogs I read, and has no other hidden meaning. Feel free to read more of Walt Crawford's writings there, I know I enjoy his general musings- check it out!

Ok! It is review time again! I know I JUST reviewed a restaurant on Monday- so aren't you lucky with a double this week? The delightful kids I used to take care of are growing up so fast and September and October marks the middle and youngest's birthday's. Luckily the oldest had to borrow a jersey for her spirit week at her high school (and I remember when she was in elementary school!) SO I got to drop by and deliver some delicious treats. I would have gone to the cupcake shoppe, but sadly (OR maybe fortunately!) it was closed. So where else on Glenwood can you get such a scrumptious item????

TURKISH DELIGHTS! (or that big purple house)

I will admit, I have only ever gotten ice cream there BUT I know they make their pastries and treats fresh daily, so this was definitely going to be good for the kids. As you can see below the traditional baklava is 2.99 and you can almost see the honey oozing out. MMMmmmMMM 



I decided to get 5 since there are 5 members in the family, I decided to go with 5 different flavors. Pictured below is the complete set up!


I decided to get the chocolate (made with Ghirardelli chocolate), the pistachio, the apple crumble, the caramel pecan and the caramel pecan. All were 4.29, with the traditional pictured above being the least expensive. The attendant packaged everything up and advised to microwave for 10 seconds for the best taste.

Let's just say I am pretty sure the kids really enjoyed their treat. I know they love the cupcake shoppe as well, but like is about variety! All three have serious sweet tooths, so with the sugar content alone I knew they would enjoy it.

Lastly, in addition to the ice cream and pastries you can purchase all kinds of jewelry and art. But the pièce de résistance is their extensive collection of evil eyes.


What is an evil eye? Well Wikipedia- I'll let you have this one! The evil eye is believed to be able to cause injury and/or bad luck for the person at whom it is directed for reasons of envy or dislike. In Turkey, evil eye jewelry and other trinkets are common as well. These are thought to protect against the evil eye. No worries purchase one and hang on and you should be free of anyone casting nasty things your way! Now you know.

Tomorrow's post I am back to cooking! Stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment